You’ve just made a fantastic decision: this Sunday you’re bringing your family and friends to the FREE screenings at Dufferin Grove Park. Now it’s just a matter of deciding what to eat (dilemma!).
Luckily, we’re pretty enthusiastic about eating and lounging while we watch shorts, so we’ve put together some tips and tricks to help you bring the perfect picnic to your flick-nic.
With these three easy rules in mind, your Flick-Nic is sure to be a hit…
1) Keep it simple! We can’t stress this enough: keep your food easy to eat. You remember your last picnic, when you slaved for hours cooking something and then opened your Tupperware to find a heap of mushy goo? Let’s avoid that.
Get specific, you say? OK…
- Choose dishes that’ll travel well and are ready to eat as soon as they hit the picnic blanket. Much assembly should not be required.
- Maintaining yum-factor is key. Mashed potatoes? Not good cold. Roasted potatoes? Good at any temperature!
- For the sake of your appearance (because it’s always a beauty contest, let’s be honest), avoid things that are too saucy or foods that get soggy and drip oil. You will spill, and that look is only cute on your 3 year old.
- Don’t expect yourself to be able to cut into a steak as you sit in the grass. No disrespect to your table manners but it’s not happening – invoke a fork and finger food only rule. Caveman styles, while sometimes necessary, are not approps.
2) Get comfy. It’s hot out and you want to stay perky and energized to enjoy the afternoon. Wear light colours and remember what your mom always said (and what you probably say now) – don’t forget your hat (fancy hats encouraged) and sunscreen! As for a contingency plan, ponchos take no space and they cover your entire body, so you can ride out the sun showers with the best of the picnic-ers!
3) Most importantly: sit back, relax & enjoy the FREE screenings in the park!