Screenplay Giveaway- Short Scripts Win Big Prizes!
Submit your short script and win a fantastic filmmaking package worth over $50,000! 2012's Screenplay Giveaway winner will receive:
- Post Production services by Deluxe Laboratories
- Studio time at Cinespace Studios
- Kodak film stock
- Lighting and Grip package provided by William F. White International Inc.
- Postcard and business card design by Agency 71
- Insurance consultation with BFL Canada’s Nellie Lindner CIP, CRM
- Two (2) Programming passes and two (2) complimentary memberships to WIFT-T
- Legal counsel from Heenan Blaikie Barristers and Solicitors
- Locations support package provided by Location Equipment Supply Inc.
- Story editing services by one of Canada's top story editors Marguerite Pigott, Creative Development Group Lead, Super Channel
- ACTRA TIP consultation with Tasso Lakas
- Production consultation with Rechna Varma, CFC Executive in Charge of Production and Post
Send us your short script. If you win, we’ll give you a filmmaking package to help you with your short film! Film scripts will be judged by established working directors and filmmakers from across Canada.
Deadline for submissions is Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 at 6 p.m.
The winner will be announced at the Festival awards ceremony on June 10th, 2012.
To qualify for the Screenplay Giveaway, you must:
- All writers must have a director and/or producer with at least one previous credit attached to the project to submit their screenplay.
- If you are a producer or director with at least one previous credit, you must have written the project or have a signed option or letter of agreement from the writer.
- All submitting parties must be Canadian residents.
- All submissions must pay a submission fee of $20. Payment of this submission fee is redeemable towards one Symposium ticket during the festival, or towards an equivalent discount on a Symposium or Do-It-All Combo Pass. You can pay the submission fee HERE.
NOTE: Please include a copy of the email confirming your order or a photocopy of your ticket, your Do-It-All pass, Symposium pass, or proof of entry fee payment with your screenplay.
In addition to your script, your Screenplay Giveaway Application must include the following:
- Cover letter with contact details (name, phone number and email address) and a short 100 word synopsis of your film. NOTE: If you send a PDF of your script, please do not include your cover letter in the same document as the script: separate your cover letter from the script.
- A resume of the writer(s)
- A resume/CV of the producer(s) - as applicable
- A resume/CV of the director(s) - as applicable
- Proof of entry fee payment
- NO identifying markers - please do not list your name, production company or any other information on the title page or in the body of your script. The Screenplay Giveaway Contest is a blind read; your identity is not revealed to the judges or adjudicators.
HOW TO APPLY
Enter your script (40 pages or less) and supporting documents by mail or in person to:
WSFF Screenplay Giveaway
Canadian Film Centre
2489 Bayview Ave.
or email a PDF version of your application to:firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading “Screenplay Giveaway 2012” to be eligible.
No faxes please.
Please consult the Screenplay Giveaway FAQS and checklist before submitting your entry.
FAQs ABOUT WSFF's SCREENPLAY GIVEAWAY CONTEST
I did not write the script, but I am the director/producer of the film, can I still enter the contest?
You may enter on behalf of the film, but you must provide written, original signed consent from the writer. Likewise, if you are entering a script based on a short story that the author has agreed to option, you must submit a letter of agreement from the author.
Who are the judges and how does the selection process work?
Your script will be read by several industry readers (story editors, buyers, producers, filmmakers) who will be judging it on its creativity, originality, your writing skills, and the overall story. Then selected scripts will be put in front of a jury of some of the top filmmakers in Canada who will select one winner. Judges will be announced by March 1.
Can I enter more than one script?
No, the contest mandates one script per person, regardless of the number of panel tickets purchased.
Can I enter the same script more than once?
I plan to attend a Symposium panel; can I enter my script first and buy a ticket later?
Yes, but to qualify for the contest, you must provide proof of Screenplay Giveaway submission fee payment. The submission fee is $20, and can be paid HERE.
How can I buy advance tickets for Symposium panels?
Tickets and passes are available online on the Symposium page. Purchases can also be arranged in person at the CFC:
call 416.445.1446 x227 for more information.
Can my entry be postmarked for the deadline?
Sorry, entries must physically arrive at the Canadian Film Centre by 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012.
Please send applications to:
WSFF Screenplay Giveaway
Canadian Film Centre
2489 Bayview Ave
Do I have to be a Canadian citizen to enter?
The services of the Screenplay Giveaway prize are valid only in Canada and are non-transferable, therefore applicants must be legal residents of the country.
I am a selected filmmaker for this year’s festival, and my pass allows me access to Symposium for free, can I still enter the contest?
Yes, although in order to enter the Screenplay Giveaway contest, you must still pay the submission fee. This is a means of covering basic administrative costs incurred by the contest. See Question 4 on where to purchase.
If I want to drop off my application in person, where do I go?
The Canadian Film Centre is located at 2489 Bayview Ave, south of York Mills, on the east side of Bayview. From York Mills subway station, take any eastbound 95 or 122 bus to Bayview Ave, then walk south.